Happy Holidays Ladies!
For many of you it is “that time of year”. You know, THAT TIME OF YEAR when…
• The lists of to do’s are a mile long.
• The mall is a mess but you need to be there.
• You have 10 parties to attend in the next 5 days.
• There is a pile of cards on your kitchen table that all need addresses (and perhaps they even need to be written.)
• There are special meals to prepare.
• There are parties to throw.
• There are large groups of people coming together that may not always do so well together.
Welcome to the holidays!
Whether this is your holiday time of year or not, we can all relate to those times when there is so much to do and seemingly not enough time to do it.
We can all relate to the idea of spending time with people, whether family or friends that perhaps get on our nerves, tire us out, or tend to create frustration or conflict.
So many people take the frenzy and the frustration as a necessary evil of the season and today I would like to challenge this notion.
Instead of the holidays “happening” to you, the flurry of activity and agitation being thrust upon you unawares, this year you are invited to create your holiday with intention.
You are invited to create your best holiday ever! Let’s go!
Step 1) Describe it!If you could create your holiday any way you wanted, what words would you use to describe it?
Peaceful, fun, nostalgic, easy, effortless, flowing, meaningful?
Pick one or two words that describe your holiday the way you would like it to be.
Step 2) Be willing! Ask yourself if you are willing to be pleasantly surprised by your holiday and the people around you.
Without a space for allowing something new you will never get it. If you are determined to have a rough time then there is no room for your new experience. Notice and acknowledge whether you are really ready for something new. Are you REALLY ready for uncle Phil to be an absolute delight? If you are not, no problem… no surprises for you!
Step 3) Choose your best you! That's right, you get to choose how you are going to show up for the holidays.
If you want the world to surprise you then you need to do your part as well. To have your effortless, peaceful, memorable holiday, what could you bring to the table that would help this along. Put another way, to have your best holiday yet, how would you choose to “be”.
Would you… “be happy”, “be passionate”, “be courageous”, “be calm”, “be fun”, “be delightful”!
Ask yourself if you could bring a “great you” to your holiday with intention, how would you “be”?
Step 4) Take action! Identify any obvious actions you could take to fulfill on your holiday to remember.
With this new intention and new point of view there may be some obvious actions to take.
- Perhaps you chose to be “bold’ so that you can create an “adventurous” holiday. In that case you may already be clear that you need to call the neighbors and tell them to get ready for some carolers on Sunday night and that you like rum in your eggnog.
- Or perhaps you are choosing to create a “peaceful” holiday and you have chosen to show up or be “loving”. As a result, you are clear that you need to get in touch with your sister, repair a misunderstanding and let her know you would love to have her over for dinner next week.
Step 5) Get Ready! Watch for your intention to be fulfilled. (Get ready to be surprised and delighted!)
Once you are clear on what you want to create, the best way for you to “be” to create it, and you are truly willing to be surprised, then your final step is to watch for it.
- Put on your new point of view and be willing to experience joy in the flurry of holiday shopping.
- Be willing to see the adventure in a ruined turkey or the guests showing up 4 hours early.
- Be ready to find new things to appreciate and new empathy as you spend time with those who have traditionally rubbed you the wrong way.
Get ready to have your best holiday yet!
By using these 5 simple steps I have seen nothing short of miracles occur. Before you make one more sugar cookie or hang one more wreath, stop and take a moment to create your holiday and reap the benefits of an intentional life.
Have a holiday to remember,
SHARE YOUR SELF IN THE COMMENTS BELOW: I have taken this opportunity to create my own experience of the holidays below. You are invited to declare yourself. Create your week with intention. Create your best holiday yet and share what new delights showed up!
DO YOU HAVE A QUESTION FOR COACH JOELLE?: I am looking for the opportunity to fully serve each of you on your personal adventure. If you have a life or business challenge that you would like a coaching perspective on, please share your comments below or email me at Joelle@coachjoelle.com.
Coach Joelle's best holiday yet!
Step 1) The holiday I am creating is: loving, fun, inspiring and meaningful.
Step 2) I am totally willing to be surprised by what is possible for this holiday.
Step 3) How I will show up or the way I will “be” to create this Holiday is: Open, warm, playful, bold and intentional
Step 4) Obvious Action to take:
• find out what day uncle Rob is available for Karaoke and find a place to go.
• Create a holiday goals ritual for the family Saturday morning.
• Write my intention somewhere visible so I remember what I am committed to.
• Bring my Wayne Dyer CD’s to learn more about Taoism.
• Bring my Ipod so I have my my music and audio programs to listen to.
• Create a ritual with my husband to take our relationship to the next level.
Step 5) I’m ready baby!! Bring it on!!